The Hubbs turned 30 a couple weeks ago, and he had hinted for months that he hadn’t had a birthday party since he was 9 and also that he’d never had a surprise party. So Operation Superhero Surprise Party went into action, though I didn’t quite settle on that theme until a couple weeks before. Katie, my co-party-planner, blogged extensively about it here, and I’ve got a few photos and details after the jump.
- Caped Crusaders (pigs in a blanket, with trailing dough capes)
- Daredevil (deviled eggs)
- Red Skull (grape tomatoes, stuffed with feta/herbs)
- Kryptonite (bowl full of Reese’s cups, the Hubbs’ favorite candy)
- Also: Roasted peanuts, cupcakes, cookies. Pizza, once the pre-made food has been dispatched.
- Doctor Manhattan (a classic Manhattan)
- Invisibility Tonic (vodka tonic)
- Radioactive Spider (Green River soda, vodka, green maraschino cherry)
- Wolverine (choice of beer)
- ALSO: More beer, sparkling water, ginger ale + whiskey, and wine. ALL NIGHT LONG.
30! He’s pretty much an old man now. (I can say that for a few more years until I reach the same landmark.) Hurray! Birthdays!